As Chrome OS now supports Android applications and Linux software, People are using it for different purposes. As I saw on the internet, many people are looking for a proper guide in Python On Chromebook. Here I’m again, guiding you on a tutorial with my ten years plus experience in the software industry.
Python On Chromebook Guide
Enable Linux on your Chromebook(Install Linux on Chromebook)
While installing Python on a Chromebook is a bit different than installing it on a traditional computer, it is still possible to do so and use Python to run programs.
- Step One: Click on the below icon to go to the system settings.
- Step Two: After that, Click on the Settings icon as below in Figure Two image.
- Once you click on the icon, it will open the Settings as below image.
- Skip this step if your Chrome OS is older than 90
- Step Three: After that, click on the “Advanced” tab on the left menu bottom below in Figure Three image point 1.
- After that, it will expand the “Advanced” tab, and you find the “Developers” tab on the bottom right as below in Figure Three image point 2.
- Skip this step if your Chrome OS is 90 or Newer
- Step Three: Click on the Linux icon as below in Figure Three image.
- Step Four: After that, Click on the Turn On button as the below Figure Four image.
- Step Five: After that, It will pop up “Set up Linux” and click on “Next” as below Figure Five image.
- Step Six: After that, Click the “Install” button to continue the process, as below Figure Six image.
- Once you complete the above steps, you will see a popup by “Installing Linux” on your Chromebook
- Sometimes it will take a while to complete the process, and you have to wait until it finishes.
- If you are not willing to continue, you can click the “Cancel” button below.
- Once the Linux installation is complete on the Chromebook, It will open up the Linux terminal on Chromebook, as below in Figure Eight image.
- Step Seven: After that, Close the terminal. Click on the menu icon as below in Figure Nine image.
- As a result, It will open the search box as below in Figure Ten image.
- Step Eight: After that, Type “terminal” as below Figure Ten image number one.
- Step Nine: Click on the terminal icon to open the terminal on Chromebook as below Figure Ten image number two.
How To Install Python On Chromebook
Update the system repositories
- If the Step Ten and Step Eleven is not applicable to you then you can start from here.
- It will update the system repositories of the Linux Apps
- Step Ten: After that, Copy and paste the below code into the terminal or type and enter the below Figure Fourteen.
- This step will take a time based on your internet connection speed.
sudo apt-get update
Install the Python package manager
- Step Eleven: Once Linux is enabled, open the Linux terminal by clicking the terminal icon in the dock mentioned above. Then, enter the following command to install Python on Chromebook AKA Python package manager
sudo apt-get install python3-pip
The Python package manager will allow you to easily install and manage Python packages (libraries of code that provide additional functionality) on your Chromebook.
Install Python On Chromebook
Step Twelve: Now that you have the Python package manager installed, you can use it to install Python. To do this, enter the following command in the terminal:
pip3 install python3
This will install the latest version of Python on your Chromebook.
Check Python Version On Chromebook
Step Thirteen: To make sure Python was installed correctly, enter the following command in the terminal:
If Python was installed successfully, you should see the Python interpreter start up and you will be able to enter Python commands.
That’s it! You should now have Python installed on your Chromebook and be able to run Python programs. With Python, you can use your Chromebook to write and run a wide range of programs, from simple scripts to complex applications. Happy coding!
People Also Ask
Can you run Python on a Chromebook?
Yes, it is possible to run Python on a Chromebook. However, you will need to enable Linux on your Chromebook first. To do this, go to “Settings,” then “Linux (Beta),” and click the “Turn On” button. It will allow you to run Linux applications, including Python, on your Chromebook. Once Linux is enabled, you can install Python using the package manager. Follow the below command “sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install python3-pip”. Then, you can install Python by entering the command “pip3 install python3”.
Can you use Python IDLE on Chromebook?
Yes, you can use Python IDLE on a Chromebook. IDLE (Integrated Development and Learning Environment) is a Python development environment that comes with Python and provides a user-friendly interface for writing and running Python code. Once you have Python installed on your Chromebook, you can use IDLE to write and run Python programs. To start IDLE, open the terminal and enter the command “python3 -m idlelib”. It will launch IDLE, and you can write and run Python code in the IDLE window.
Can I run Python 3 on a Chromebook?
Yes, you can run Python 3 on a Chromebook. To install Python 3, you must use the package manager and enter the command “pip3 install python3”. It will install the latest version of Python 3 on your Chromebook. You can then run Python 3 programs by entering the command “python3” in the terminal or by using IDLE, as described above.
Are Chromebooks OK for coding?
Chromebooks can be a good choice for coding, mainly if you are using them to run Python or other programming languages that can be run on Linux. Chromebooks are generally lightweight and portable, making them convenient for coding. Additionally, many Chromebooks offer long battery life, which can be helpful when working on coding projects for extended periods. However, Chromebooks may not be as powerful as traditional computers. So, a more powerful computer is better suited for larger and more complex projects.
Is Chromebook enough for coding?
A Chromebook can be sufficient for coding. But it depends on the type and complexity of your project. If you are starting with programming or working on smaller projects, a Chromebook may be sufficient. Chromebooks are generally lightweight and portable, making them convenient for coding. Additionally, many Chromebooks offer long battery life, which can be helpful when working on coding projects for extended periods. However, consider using a more powerful computer for more advanced tasks, as Chromebooks may not have as much processing power or storage as traditional computers.
More on Guideover.com: Chrome Task Manager – How to Use It Read here